Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

First fan site!


You really just have to see the image
First among equals
An eagle-eyed reader spotted this Polyp fan site and brought it to my attention. I'm so glad they did because the folks at Archie McPhee are terrific! They have some really amazing photos in their photostream and you should totally check them out. However they are too modest by far and I want to bring everyone's attention to this wonderful  homage they made for me.

While they do not mention Polyp's Pride anywhere at all, and the creative commons license on this image specifically asks that I not claim they endorse me, I think we can all agree to read between the lines together. And what I'm seeing here between the lines is that they have created a kind of Polypy nativity scene: Polyp rises from the noodly primordial goo at the beginning of time, my first triumph. A big day for me.

Of course, this image is a figurative abstraction. In order to truly represent those first gasping, desperate moments when the universe began, you would need many more colors and dimensions and also to be gasping and desperate. Things were really tough back then because the universe was very small but also filled all space, twisting around and back into itself. It was simultaneously completely bounded by all non-zero measures but also was infinitely huge and vast because it filled and consumed and was everything. I believe this Archie McPhee image hints at the pivotal moment where, now existing, I took a leap of desire Out of the Deep Madness and took mastery over the reins of destiny, riding the afterbirth of creation to the ends of time - and back.

After a while, things calmed down enough for me to relax and start this blog. Reader, thanks for this blast from the past. Your thank-you gift is in the mail!


1 comment:

  1. your absurdity is bounded by neither time nor space. you have pretty good taste in photos though.

    ReplyDelete